Apr 13, 2013

Underrated: Please Like Me

"Please Like Me" star Josh Thomas
"Please Like Me" star Josh Thomas

Today I was surfing the internet and came across an image that looked to be from some kind of show. I didn’t recognize it, but I was curious to find where it came from. After doing some (rather light) digging, I found that it was from an Australian sitcom called “Please Like Me.” 

Please like me? You had me at Australian, silly. 

If Australian accents weren’t a big enough selling point for you, then you are beyond my help. 

Basically, the show is about a dorky young man named Josh who has recently been dumped by his girlfriend because she figured out he was gay before he did. The show then follows Josh as he gets his first boyfriend, deals with his best friends (and their shitty girlfriends), and takes care of his (for lack of a better term) dysfunctional family. Oh, and there’s plenty of baking (because everything is better with pie). 

I began to watch the show and found that it was actually rather funny and well written. It’s a bit of a dark comedy, as it seamlessly mixes the darker events that happen within Josh’s family with more lighthearted moments. Oh yeah, and there’s also moments of sheer awkwardness and cringe. But what’s life without a little cringe?

It’s short and sweet, only 6 episodes (so far, here’s hoping for a season 2). I love unexpectedly finding these quirky little nuggets of shows, and since I am a lovely person I decided to share it with you because sharing, allegedly, is caring. 


Side note: If you like “Please Like Me” might I suggest you give “The Outs” and “Grandma’s House” a try?