I love to go to the movies by myself.
Actually, I kind of prefer it. For some reason, people are trained to believe that only lonely people go to the movies by themselves. But that is not the case. I love seeing a movie solo because I can see whatever I want and don’t have to worry if my friends will like it or think its too long. I also get to focus 100% on the movie and don’t have to feel awkward about the fact that that we are probably not talking. Now, I’m not saying going to the movies with friends is bad, because let’s face it, sometimes you need someone else there to share the experience and provide commentary with, especially if there are many WTF’s to be had (looking at you, Spring Breakers). But, If you’ve never been to the movies alone, I suggest you try it.
Over the weekend I headed out to the movies and saw The Place Beyond the Pines, directed by Derek Cianfrance and starring Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, and Eva Mendes. I’ve been reading a lot of mixed reviews on it, but I personally thought it was pretty amazing. If you can sit still for 140 minutes then I definitely suggest you see it. The plot is simple:
Girl gets knocked up by sexy bad boy → Sexy bad boy finds out about kid/panics → Sexy bad boy plans to win over Girl and take care of his kid by robbing banks → cops catch up to him → does not go as planned
My favorite performance in this movie was from Dane Dehaan as the teenage version of Gosling’s son. I first saw Dehaan in last year’s Chronicle, which I also loved. When you watch him you just know that he’s going to be big. In Place he really captured the confusion and anger his character was going through.
![]() |
| Future sexy bad boy |
So, if you're looking for a thrilling and heartfelt crime drama, I'd definitely give Place a try.

